Sunday, August 28, 2005

Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" Speech, 42!

Today many people are celebrating the 42nd year anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech, "I have a dream..."

I would like to add my 2 cents. Thank you, Dr. King. I appreciate all you did for America. I believe in your speech. It is most memorable, and it is righteous.

I would love to live in a world where we are judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin. I know there were so many things you stated in your speech that so many young people may not have heard.

Here is a paragraph that moves me greatly when I am angry:
The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges. But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. we must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.
I always find comfort and shame in these words for thinking of my own selfish needs and desires. Here stood a man who had suffered much more than I ever could imagine, and I am angry? The nerve! I would tell myself. His heart is filled with Christ, justice, and righteous indignation.

I say righteous indignation because he was right and it was indigant the way segregation had left the black people of our country to suffer. Discrimination, intolerance, poverty, and it was like living on an island in your own land. Would you have be indigant? I would.
The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.
Yes, we are, and I thank God for this. Happy Anniversary Dr. King.

PS. In my research I found that his wife has suffered a stroke. If you would please pray for her, I am sure it will be appreciated.