Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Time to Act for Darfur 3/15/2006

I have been writing about Darfur, Sudan for over a year now; and now I have been given an opportunity to do something for these people. I hope you will join me in this endeavor. It would really be a blessing to all of us. Thank you.
As you know, I've been writing to keep you informed about Darfur, Sudan. I know you are very concerned about the people and would like to do whatever you could, within the law, to help. I have good news!

Human Rights First has an important new petition. They are looking for 200,000 caring people to “stand in” for those who have been murdered, raped, thrown into slavery, and displaced. Please see and sign the petition here: International Justice.

There is also a short and powerful Flash movie that they made, and we are invited to watch and link to it: Hope for Darfur.

The petition calls for a high-level envoy, appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations, to reenergize the peace process. That means, in particular, bringing all of the stakeholders in Darfur to the negotiating table – something that is not happening right now.

Thank you for standing up for the people of Darfur. Thank you for caring and taking the time to educate yourself. Please, if you can, educate others by posting this in your site.

You have my permission to copy the whole article, just remember to give me credit. :)
Hat tip to Rosemary at Causes of Interest.

Update: There is a very good Op-Ed in the Crimson (the Harvard Newspaper) written by Nicholas B. Manske you should read. It will help explain what we are doing. Thank you.